Location: San Deigo or Campbell, CA
Visa: USC, GC, TN, H1-b willing to transfer (more than 2 years left)
Notes: should have 4+ years in Build/DevOps/Site Reliability Engineering and 7+ years of industry experience
Looks like a hybrid between DevOps and QA—DevOps engineer that has some QA experience, ideally with some scripting/development capabilities. From the hiring manager:
We understand Site Reliability Engineer as a “subset” of DevOp, with a focus on coordinating software application testing, quality assurance, configuration, installation and supporting to ensure smooth, stable and timely implementation of new software and updates to installed applications. In that view, candidates with DevOp background could fit the position if they meet the requirements outlined in our role qualifications (see the document that Dean sent last week). I should add that we expect SRE to work closely with the software development team, thus strong scripting and coding capabilities are highly desirable
Summary of Duties:
Transcend Insights is looking for a Site Reliability Engineer (Contract-To-Hire) to work with the software engineering teams to ensure that compilation, assembly, and delivery of our source code is executed with precision.
- Builds Trust: You honor your word by doing what you say you are going to do.
- Implementation/Execution: You are good at organizing and managing multiple priorities and/or projects by using appropriate methodologies and tools.
- Innovate: You introduce new ideas and processes that improve performance and productivity.
- Problem Solving: You are a problem solver with the ability to encourage others in collaborative problem solving. Acting as both a broker and consultant regarding resources, you engage others in problem solving without taking over.
2 years minimum of professional experience as a Site Reliability/DevOps Engineer, 5 years minimum software development industry experience. Strong knowledge of source code repository administration (git), build setup and administration (Jenkins and Jenkins Job DSL) and superior experience utilizing software build/configuration tools such as Maven and Gradle is essential. This role will maintain services in the engineering environment once they are live by measuring and monitoring availability, latency and overall system health.
- Bachelor’s Degree or above (Computer Science, Bio Engineering, Electronics and Electrical Engineering or any related field)
- Effective communication with other teams and co-workers.
- Automation of scripts.
- Daily maintenance of source repositories.
- Distributed deployment and install of releases to single/multiple-host environment.
- Proficiency in Linux.
- Expertise in analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems (Micro Services).
- Systematic problem-solving approach, combined with strong communication skills and a sense of ownership and drive.
- Automated Build implementation using Jenkins.
- Proficiency in Jenkins Job DSL (or Jenkins 2.0).
- Proficiency in code quality tools such as SonarQube or similar.
- Proficiency in Docker.
- Proficiency in build repository tools such as Artifactory or similar.
- Proficiency in automated deployment tools such as Kubernetes or similar.
- Ability to identify and communicate code metrics (quality, performance, security, etc.) identified in the build process.
- Git and GitHub Source Control – Branching / Merging / Tagging.
- Ability to coordinate and work with other Site Reliability Engineers in local and remote offices.
- Experience with agile based iterative development (Scrum) and knowledge of software engineering best practices
- Java programming experience.
- Proficiency in shell scripting.
- Proficient with Virtualization technologies such as AWS.
- Knowledge of JIRA and Confluence.
- Experience with Chef, Puppet, or any other software configuration management tool is a huge plus.
- iOS Mobile build experience.